Thursday, October 14, 2010

Critique 2

After my second round of taking pictures I was feeling a little confused.  All of my images for the first critique were taken in one particular neighborhood and I felt I captured a certain look through a certain style.  I wanted to try and stick with the same feel from my previous photos but I found it very difficult to do while shooting in such a different location.  I ended up walking for awhile just waiting for something ordinary to pop out in a peculiar way, I even spent time shooting in a dog park I came across (no, i don't have a dog... one man thought I was some official trying to find evidence to shut them down).  When I was done photographing I sat and looked through my photos.  Although I felt I had some strong images, I wasn't quite sure if they fit in with what I had done previously.  I was still slightly unsure about what I wanted my photographs to convey and so I was hoping that my photos would basically speak to me.  Originally I was hoping to convey some aspect of American life from a different perspective and hold some social commentary on how we live.  However this turned out to be a little more difficult to get across in my photos than I thought.  The feedback I received in the critique today definitely helped me center my ideas.  I  want to show the world very matter-of-factly, but show things and spaces that are typically overlooked, a new perspective on the ordinary.  I am not  a fan of deadpan photography, to me it has little substance and meaning, so I am hoping that in the end my photographs don't completely fall in that category.  Christian had an interesting comment during the critique that I hope to base my final photographs around.  He said that my photographs seem to show a human presence without the actual presence of a human in the photograph. 




The photograph I probably spent the most time editing was the photograph of the sunglasses on the street.  However I spent  a fair amount of time on all of them because I wanted to try and make them all have the same warm feel.  I discovered that even though my images are black and white, I am still able to adjust the temperature and saturation and vibrancy.  I adjusted these all equally on each of the photos so they all had that warmth. Below is my original, un-edited photograph of the sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment